Read 51 comments as:
Filter By
Please somebody bring this to the attention of relevant authorities.

The university is keeping us out of campus in 43ยฐ without any basic amenities. 3am power cuts are hindering our exam schedule and it hurts to see that nobody cares about students. Due to the lack of proper management there are boys living in girls hostel and the management is sleeping on it. Here's the below attached email that is sent by the anguished students to the faculty yet no response has come.

I hope this email finds you in good health.

I am writing this email on behalf of the batch of 2023-28, who were promised to be housed in the campus hostels from academic year 2024-25 onwards, who have been kept in separate off-campus housing for the current academic year (2023-24). These promises were made during the Orientation which was attended by both students and parents.

When we enrolled at this university, one amongst many explicit assurances by the administration was that after our first year, all students would be integrated into the main campus hostels. This assurance was a major factor affecting our decision to attend this university because the students were operating under the promise of being shifted to the main campus hostels in the second year. There are, however, no signs in sight that this promise will come to fruition.

Now that this academic year has drawn to a conclusion and since there still is a lot of uncertainty caused by a vacuum of information regarding our rightful shifting, it forces us to speculate what our future accommodation might be, or if the administration would be keeping us at the off-campus hostels indefinitely, due to โ€œcertain reasonsโ€ that have not been properly communicated.

This is simply unacceptable. We are paying a total fee of Rs. 3,65,000, and therefore have an equal right to the same campus living experience as is being enjoyed by all our senior batches. The university must uphold its commitments.

We demand that concrete answers and a firm timeline be set and communicated immediately by the administration for relocating all students of batch 2023-28 to the campus hostel before the start of the academic year 2024-25. Keeping us isolated and separated is disruptive to the cohesive student experience of which we were assured.

We request an official written communication by the end of Saturday, i.e., April 20, 2024.

In our living experience so far at our current off-campus hostels, we have suffered several issues with respect to our security and living conditions which have already been flagged several times and have been reiterated below. It is pertinent to mention that little or no steps were taken to resolve these issues.

1. Security issues which have been flagged repeatedly

2. Buses do not ply on time, creates a nuisance for students, and leads to loss of precious time

3. Several instances of bus drivers drunk driving and misbehaving

4. Very limited access to the library and reading room services

5. No common room allotted for co-ed academic activities (both girls and boys studying together)

6. Subpar infrastructure of this apartment

7. No access to air conditioners

8. Random electricity and power cuts

9. Students endure extreme heat during power cuts

10. Food delivery problems

11. No emergency medical facilities available

12. Major safety issues of girls

13. Disturbance due to trains and their incessant horns

14. Wi-Fi problems

15. Residents creating problems in day-to-day activities

16. Restrictive hostel in-timings

17. Insects infestation, and related health issues (instances of students contracting malaria and dengue have been recorded)

There are several other concerns which we are willing to expand on and put forth directly to the administration and the relevant authorities. We request an audience of all relevant authorities for the same.

We hope the university will do the right thing and honour the representations made to us. Thank you for your urgent attention to this matter
did one of your friends not comment a couple of days before, exhorting the virtues of MNLU - N and praising the campus?
I'm only commenting about the plight of first year students. Our life is confined to an 8:45am bus to campus with 10-4:30 classes and then a direct bus at 4:45pm.

The campus is great however we first years live 7km away in the middle of nowhere. Our voice is being crushed no matter where we raise it.
Sorry to hear about the plight of students. No wonder BCI has sent a letter to all state governments urging them to stop the mushrooming of law colleges in the states.
You should get some sort of certificate for plugging in your agenda everywhere regardless of context.
Well there are two expectations from LI

1) Hoping to find someone powerful who shows sympathy and puts us out of our misery.

I believe it's a long shot but maybe my stars might align.

2) Suggest me ways through which I could anonymously help my batchmates without me getting suspended, killed or given backlogs in 6 subjects. (They won't kill me. Right?)
How about you write this to the Chancellor, VC or directly to the CJI instead of here. What do you think we are ? 4chan ?
Ok smarty pants. I write a letter and then surprisingly get a backlog in my end sems that will start from day after tomorrow. Sounds great right?

Let's be real this uni is owned by a โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ who's not . If 10+ PQE lawyers couldn't do shit how is it feasible for teenagers to just risk everything and sit on a hunger strike?

P.S - the above email is sent (via CC) to all the batches, the VC and the relevant faculties. Guess what? IGNORED.
When we faced similar problems, we sent a letter to the Chancellor of our Tier 69 NLU, by signing it as a batch. I don't know how effective it was, but VC and Registrar were appointed within days of him recieving this letter.
You do know that you can be anonymous and write a letter, or have enough signatures to write a unionised letter or get in touch with some authority outside the university and get them to write a letter or leak it to the press with evidence. I mean come on you're a lawyer and can't figure a way to a solution. Shame ! No wonder you can't improve the situation. Pathetic state of affairs.
"Anonymous" and "Unionised" letters written by teenagers.

Are you for real? โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ He's the kinda dude who made DYC sit inside a tent at 42ยฐC for a convocation ceremony. Tracing a letter back to its sender is no big deal for him.

Reading comprehension/critical reasoning are necessary skills for budding lawyers which I believe you lack severely.
Boys living in the girls hostel is not only a violation of the SC guidelines in Vishakha but a huge risk to the safety and security of the girl students, in the wake of incidents of sexual assault reported on other NLUs. You just go to the media and also petition the Chancellor.
The first two floors of the apartments are occupied by boys that came via vacancy.

Third-Sixth floors are occupied by our first year girls. (they also have other residents living there)

These residents are from engineering colleges (mainly boys) and there are various catcalling, indecency incidents that have occurred over the past year that was IGNORED by the management.

The purpose behind this rant is to find a way we can curb this problem without me compromising my identity (and my seat in this university)
Any idea how I could do that anonymously? Would go for it if I could somehow avoid my identity getting exposed and being thrown out from uni (or worse).
An idea (since I am also a first-year student at the University): The University can share online form to be filled by first year students(irrespective of their course) asking them for their preference, whether they want to accommodate within the University campus or want to stay at the other hostel. Considering the responses received from the students, the University should provide accommodation to the student, disregarding the course pursued by them.
Same deal with NUJS. The VC and the Registrar are the ones responsible. Faculty and student alike have been suffering in the heat wave, but the air conditioned common spaces access has been taken away from the students, the hostels are blistering, half the classroom ACs aren't working, and despite government warnings about heat waves, the VC just refused to give a week off or postpone classes/exams. All the while, his own room AC is working fine โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ. He spends money like water for his own random programmes, but won't use students money to provide basic infra! โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ.
Apart from this university has multiple other issues as well. Let's write to CJI, Chancellor and Maharashtra Chief Minister to what administration is doing here.

issue No. 1: Favoritism in PhD Candidacy

A concerning situation has emerged involving favoritism towards a PhD candidate who is also a faculty member. The candidate's withdrawal from another National Law University (NLU) was inaccurately portrayed as a transfer, providing them with undue benefits for their PhD tenure. Despite the widespread knowledge of the withdrawal document among faculty members, the administration continues its bold approach, risking further embarrassment and potential litigation.

Issue No. 2: Financial Mismanagement and Event Planning

The university administration has been criticized for financial mismanagement. Despite the financial strain, plans for a TEDx event are moving forward. Faculty members were initially assured that the event would not impact their partially paid salaries. However, this assurance was retracted from the revised meeting minutes after the Vice-Chancellor (VC), VK, raised concerns about potential media leaks. The original minutes, which had been distributed for reference, are still available.

Issue No. 3: Examination Department Irregularities

The examination department's operations have been called into question, with allegations of result manipulation, biased gold medal allocation, and PhD entrance exam favouritism. The assignment of invigilation duties reveals clear favoritism, with some faculty members being exempted and others repeatedly burdened. The duty charts from the numerous exams conducted throughout the year highlight this unfair practice, which is becoming increasingly intolerable. The Controller of Examinations (CoE), exam convenor, and all Assistant Registrars (ARs) must address these issues as they are creating evidences themselves which will cost them soon
Sir/Mam you seem like a senior in our uni. Would like your inputs on our situation and probably ways through which we can curb this problem.
The only advice can be given to you is that don't underestimate the power of collectivism: They have segregated you make this an opportunity; Do meetings there take all 100-150 students in confidence, don't board the bus and halt the exams : don't write it unless you get the resolution.Learn something from your seniors of 2017-22 batch. Approach Media keep writing.Someone will hear it and raise it. He can put 4 ACs in staff quarters 2 BHK, but not in extension hostel: Raise this and don't worry faculty members here are good,they won't support him ; they are anyway not happy with him since VC VK is not paying full salaries. Nobody is with the administration. They have their own pressing issues. Your fee money is not even utilised to pay salaries.. Don't know what's happening, It needs a review. Join hands and work together to save this public institution
Just curious, why is only one batch living off campus? Is there a shortage of hostel space?
Yes, there is shortage and the worse thing is more hostels are not being constructed as of now.
Yes, severe funds crunch. MNLU-N cannot pay salaries to its faculty, where do you they are going to build new hostels? It is not even on their radar. It is similar in WBNUJS as well. The mantra is to pay hefty fees and expect little by way of facilities. In state universities, you can't expect more than this.
NLS also charges hefty fees but in recent years the campus facilities have been improving.
Write a Mail and Letter to CM plus hold protests or boycott classes.

Make sure to spam mails of politicians and VC

If you are paying 3 Lakh rupee in a year and still not getting promised facilities you should file a court case against UNI it will surely attract media
Email it to Bar and Bench. Ask them to run a story on this and make sure you send it from an anon/burner email address.
You guys must do the following:

1. Exploit the election window. Report this to the press and go to the HC/SC asap. This will get you mileage and statements of support from the opposition. The government will act.

2. Next, exploit the window when Chandrachud nears retirement and goes into popular mode. Go file a petition again and seek relief.
All of you : those who are living there ,have consensus and don't write exams . Make it a collective action and see what's next ...but collective... nobody should board bus and go!Not even one ....
Feeling bad for students and the faculty who are not getting salaries. This is all because of an incompetent and corrupt administration. NLUs are VC driven institutes. If Menon and Ranbir Singh can build top NLUs, Vijender can ruin it too. Change the VC, things will be all right.
Update

So we sent the email and the student bar council took charge. Our vice president voiced our concerns to the administration and our VC agreed to make a committee to sort this matter.

Yesterday, our registrar also visited our accommodation and took a headcount of our current batch.

To trolls who are throwing personal attacks, try to understand one's situation before talking shit. Even our faculties are scared to raise their voice (despite not getting full salaries for the past six months),what the hell do you expect a single first-year student just out of high school to do? Had my identity been compromised, I'd have been thrown out of this uni for the violation of the "academic code of conduct"

Today was the first day of our end-semester examination. We're still waiting for positive results. Thank you to everyone who genuinely helped us. Though we didn't mass boycott the exams, there were a lot of useful actions that I was able to take because of the clarity some LI peers gave.
"......faculties not getting full salaries for the past six months". I thought such things happen only in private companies like Byju"s. Now even state NLUs are playing the same game. Interesting.
Same thing happened at central universities and affiliated colleges too earlier.
Hostel allotment through lottery because they can't give it to everyone,wish you all the luck!
A 20-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 45-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 254-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 52-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 30-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 178-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 48-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 28-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.