Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Im not sure if i want to stay in the uk after the degree. I dont want to get a uk degree and be unemployed due to a lot of things and then come back to india and be unemployed here aswell. Does a uk degree have any significance in india? Ive heard so many mixed opinions on everything and it’s difficult to come to a comprehensive conclusion. Some have also suggested a jd or a llm after BA LLB im very confused .Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Been posted many times before. UK LLB grads are preferred for TCs in the UK: not just Oxbridge and LSE/KCL/UCL, but also Manchester, Leeds, Warwick, York , Newcastle etc. But in India firms prefer to hire NLU LLB grads over UK LLB grads even if they have passed the equivalency exam. This is because:

1. They've just been doing that for years and years.

2. UK grads typically intern at UK firms instead of Indian firms, so the Indian firms didn't get a first look at them.

3. They think UK grads lack knowledge of Indian law and need time to catch up.

4. They think UK grads might be a bit spoilt and not be able to work 18 hours a day like NLU grads.

5. A degree of insecurity and resentment. As in: "Hah! My beloved NLU is much better than Oxford (although I will definitely admit my son to Oxford, since I now make enough money). "
Tbh, most Indians who go for UK law have failed to crack any of the top NLUs. I know folks who went to Oxford for the BA in Jurisprudence but in CLAT, they got only RML or HNLU. And the other low-tier UK ones, most kids who go there have 4-digit ranks in CLAT.
Which means they would have cracked a T1 NLU had there been no quotas. UK universities have no quotas.
Do you also know magic? Because otherwise one fails to see how you reached the first conclusion short of conducting a very detailed survey.
+ only the ones who fail to secure a TC comes back to India and seeks employment in an Indian Law firm. So law firms here are better off hiring average kids from T1 NLUs
My good friend did a BA at Oxford and an LLB at KCL (both with distinction) and then a bar at law, including a pupillage with a top QC. My friend came back to India with a glowing recommendation letter from the QC. My friend was turned down by every single tier 1 fir (lit and arbitration departments), even after passing the BCI equivalence exam and enrolling as an advocate. The reason given by HR and partners was that they prefer Indian university grads. One partner bluntly said that a UK grad would never survive an Indian courtroom and he would rather recruit an Amity or Symbiosis grad. My friend then left India and has since worked with top Barrister’s chambers in the UK and Singapore, though he would still like to come back to India because of family reasons.

So there you are.
Law and lawyers are miserable. Do something else with your time on the planet. Get a business degree or a tech degree.
UK LLB is best - you're done with it in 3 years, then 2 years to actually qualify as a solicitor rather than wasting away at college. Alternatively, a barrister is an option. You can always use a UK LLB and then practice in India