Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
I sincerely request people who are from a humble background and first-gen litigators to tell about their struggles, how much they are making now, whether they are content, would like to go back and change anything, and whatever else you have to say.

P.S. Regular lurkers of LI share this with your litigator bros so that we can know about them
Realistically, go for corporate.

Ideally, the grind pays off, but takes everything
Humble people don't go for lit.

I'm 3rd gen into general corp lit., and I laugh hard when someone 1st gen talk about lit.
First gen here. Background isn't very humble, dad had a finance job and we were comfortable. The only benefit it gave me is that I could take the risk and slog it out without having to worry about sending money back home. Didn't get a single client through family reference etc.

I am around 4 years in, going solo, and make as much as an A1 at a T1 firm. I am doing OK I guess.
It's nice to hear that. Yes you are doing well. Tell more about it man. Did you slog at some senior's chamber before going solo? How did you get clients and all that stuff.

ATB for the journey ahead!
wait, what? you're making somewhere between 20-30LPA just 4 years in? at the ripe age of 27-29? first gen lit? This is so insane. Quite an inspiration if true.
Sounds like someone is jealous. Just because you haven't been able to achieve similar growth, doesn't mean it isn't possible.

In fact it is very much believable. Dude has slogged for "4 years" to reach at the level of what an A1 at a T1 would earn in their second year. Also an A1 would at best be earning not more than 20-21L.
Can you please elaborate on your journey and also about location and seniors chamber
You are a star. And take my words, a High Court judgeship also await individuals like you. Best wishes.
I know a senior who makes 75k after two years into practice. Another, 125k after 5 years. Both are first-gen middle class and started litigating straight out of law school and are not independent yet.

Another senior who is independent and is 8 years into practice probably makes around 200k. Another independent one is almost a decade into practice and is roughly around 600-700k. Again same similar background.

Give these people a few years more and they are going to earn more than those corp partners. Not to mention WLB is really good. They are a few stressful days but overall it's nice.

But all of them really had tough initial years. I have personally observed two of them so can really feel it.
First generation from an upper middle class background. Had a fairly comfortable life, no loans or need to send money home. Got some support from home when I started litigating. Started at a law firm in 2018, quit to join a chamber in Delhi in 2019. Got paid 25K for the first 8 months and thereafter, it increased to 30K a month till I was there (Mid 2020).

Joined another chamber in 2020 and got paid 35K which increased to 50K after 1 year. Quit that in 2022 and joined a senior who paid double of my earlier compensation. Did not have much independent work so felt a little disappointed as opportunities outside office were very limited. Stuck around at the seniors office who started trusting me more. He started giving some independent work at the end of 2023 and also increased my monthly remuneration to 1.5L. Some people who used to come to brief him also started giving me some independent drafting work which paid well so have been able to increase my monthly income to 3-5L. There is still uncertainty about arguing briefs and also about independent clients.

Hoping to go independent next year. Hopefully it will all work out. Hope it does for you too.
can you please share what your litigation area?? what type of work??

thanks in advance
I left within 20 days. Sr. didnt pay me 16K, he owed me for the period. 2 incidents- He made me clean his merc full of pigeon dug and threw a mont blanc on my face unexpectedly. When I joined a T2, he came to know and threatened the MP of the firm. My divisions partner took a stand for me and threatened to resign so I m still in there, but how cruel can someone be