Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
I attended one of the few firm meetings at the firm, and the first with the JMP moderating. All that I want to do today is to question those who recommended me this place, Why?

It started with a couple of pleasantries and then transitioning into a session for the JMP to individually ask all the first and second year associates to answer why are their first draft of documents/notes, and I quote "absolute trash"? (Candidly speaking, I understand questioning associates that why their work is not up to management expectation, but not how it happened here, Stay Tuned)

Although all the associates tried self-evaluating their work and area for improvement, the JMP went ahead to individually embarrass them in front of the whole firm. The concerned partners to the associates were asked to openly answer back to the juniors and inform them why their work was "absolute trash".

Be that as it may, similar answer coming from majority associates, didn't concern the JMP, who went on to scold them individually (with a few of them onwards of 10 minutes on clock) stating her own understanding of why the drafts were not upto the mark.

I believe that this incidence was quite tolling for the fresh associates. A few days back, I came across an Email from a renowned firm which was in circulation, where the associates were targeted and embarrassed on mail in front of the entire team. Being fresh into the profession, away from home, working over the weekends with no compensatory offs, and then being embarrassed before the entire firm was too harsh a sight for me. Keeping aside this fiasco, the other red flags I spotted were in the answers to the following concerns-

Concern: Why should compensatory off not be given after completion of work, for working over the weekend? - Answer. Because during appraisals you are in a way compensated for that.

Concern: How punching in at dot 9:00 a.m. with even a minute delay resulting in salary deduction is justified?

Had I been aware of such incidences, I would have made different choices. Hope this helps someone.
Dass Putt Tera Head Down Kaston
Changa Bhala Hassda Si Maun Kaston
Aa Jehde Darwaje Vich Board Chakki Khade Aa
Main Changi Tarah Jaanda Aa Kaun Dasdu